New job, 18 people laid off today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New job, 18 people laid off today

I was just hired at a job where I worked temporary for 9 months. They called me in early October and asked me to come back. I work at an organization that administers their own benefits plan. They had wanted me to come back temporary but I told them that I really wasn't in a position to do that. After some talking with HR they hired me permanantly.

Today the let 18 people go, 9 in Member services where I work. Some of these people have been working there for 20 years or more. Most a little over 5.

They just migrated to a new software system and people were having a really hard time getting the hang of it and were pretty much "negative nellies" about the whole thing.

They pulled two groups today into conference rooms and one group they let go and the other they didn't. They gave everyone a chance to say goodbye to those that were leaving. It was very awkward. The weird thing is that they have been training 9 people offsite for 2 weeks to take over for the ones that were let go.

They have arranged for an EAP counselor to be onsite on Thursday to help the employees left to deal with it. I've never been involved in a mass layoff before. It was pretty emotional. All the new (temps) start tomorrow. They made sure to tell us that we need to welcome the new employees with open arms as it wasn't their fault.

Has anyone been through a mass layoff and survived the cut? I'm having a bit of a tough time since I was just hired permanantly 2 weeks ago and 2 of the people that were instrumental in me coming back are now gone. I feel a little guilty I am still there but I do know that part of it is due to my attitude and the fact that I did catch on quickly to the systems.

I am totally drained.
    Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Oh blergh!! How awful that must have been for everyone.

I went through a mass layoff and was in the 'happy room' but they did not give us the chance to mingle with the 'sad room' occupants. They kept us for a training seminar which essentially allowed the folks who were departing a chance to gather their belongings and escape any 'pity' or awkwardness.

Hang in there - keep your spirits up! {{{ }}}
    ~~ Filed Over Median Income Chapter 7: 12/17/2010 ~~ 341 Held: 1/12/2011 ~~ Discharged: 03/16/2011 ~~
    Not an attorney - just an opinionated woman.

Comment

Note that what went down has been in the works for a while...it is obvious they planned on replacements, of course at much lower salaries. What goes on a lot is some positions are eliminated to cut costs and those positions are combined and given to another worker that is either still with the company or a new hire at a much lower salary. Most employees are "at will" employees and can be let go at any time for any reason unless the employee can prove discrimination. It all involves cutting costs and the bottom line.

"A credit card is a snake in your pocket"

Comment

Yes, in hindsight if I had been through this before I would of seen the signs. Things were said and people were doing things that make sense now. To pluck 9 people out of an 18 person call center and replace them the next day with temps is going to be really hard to comprehend today. I will say 90% of the people who left were not happy in the job and the company knew it, which is one of the reasons they are gone.

The scary part now is that even though "we" all made the cut, how long will that last? Today will be very surreal going to work seeing 9 new people sitting in their desks acting happy they are there.
        Filed 11/17/11 Chapter 13, 341 meeting 12/21/11. Plan confirmed 1/19/12 - DISCHARGED 12/16/15

Comment

Flamingo is right - so much for non-profits being "nicer" than some for profits...hang in there mountdandoo - say nothing, see nothing, keep your head down!!

Comment

HO BOY, do I have a story to tell. I'll try to shorten.

Months before, here came one of those "you gotta go" company seminar workshops I had to attend. I had 35 years. The jerk was real funny, and handing out "MY COMPANIES" money in ones and fives to answer questions. WHY COMPANIES ARE NOT BAD TO DOWNSIZE, was the concept.

I answered NO questions. All were having a great time winning three bucks, five bucks or more for answers.

I said NOTHING. Finally after not participating, the jerk asked Mr. xxxxxxx, you don't seem to be participating. I told him, I did not wish to participate in my career suicide. He asked "what?", how do you mean that? I said, I know why you are here. You are here to make us believe that it is OK to fire us. He said, "If you do not wish to participate, you are excused". I said "thank you" and went back to my office.

My boss come to me and asked why I didn't participate. I said to him, I have a choice, and we will be gone soon and SO WILL YOU!!. He said simply, carry on and go to work. I did.

Some months later, half the crew were brought into a big room. I was in the second half and told my peers, we are done. When those came back, many females were crying, (some males maybe), we went in and simply told, you are not needed, we are closing this center.

After 35 years, no gold watch, just a gold finger. One man when seeing a new service of that day, with uniforms, and badges of security, threw his lunchbox through the window. We calmed him down as he had 40 years. Nothing was done to him.

We all had opportunity to reassign by application. All were running around in panic. I knew it was futile as the worst guy in my group was popular as he talked all the time to the other group, as he could not fix stit, and as I know my stuff, no one knew me. I went to the manager of this site and insisted EVERYONE would be interviewed not by popularity as it was done, but by qualifications.

I told him I would go to law if not. No, I was not fired as I pointed my finger as if I knew what I meant. I did.

I was then interviewed by a committee. I then let it all go and told them, that I did not intend to hire on, but that in all their workshops about being equality, and all the same, that they lied and were hypocrites. And I then politely dismissed myself.

After the last of 30 days we had to work (nobody worked) I was then offered by the highest manager, a big raise, and position to move to the next level of the company. I asked how long to I have for an answer? Tomorrow morning.

The big think now was this: Before, I had no choice but to leave. NOW I had my power to finish my career, or leave.

After my wife and I went to our favorite sports bar (I hate sports) and talked, it was my choice to not accept this offer on principle.

I cannot tell you folks what fortune in my/our lives this did for us. I found out then that I can do something other than be chattel to a corporation.

Never beg for your job. You are better than a job. You make your own success. Be the best you can be in the things you like to do. It is not only money you work for. It is pride and production for the best. 'Hub
            If I knew it all, would I be here?? Hang in there = Retained attorney 8-06, Filed 12-28-07, Discharge 8-13-08, Finally CLOSED 11-3-09, 3-31-10 AP Dismissed, Informed by incompetent lawyer of CLOSED status, October 14, 2010.

Comment

I hired a job in few weeks ago i worked out 1 years temporary. There call me few month before calling and join company and new job selected.!Nowadays 10% permanent job option and 90% temporary job option.

Comment

oh god..its really awful, I have never faced such situation & I never want to. But its really wrong to push out so many people in bulk. I agree with angelina that it is not only money you work for. It is pride and production for the best.
                We should give our best, rest is on seniors hand, we cant do anything

Comment

bottom Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X